Ecuador has natural and cultural tourist attractions that make it a perfect destination to enjoy both things at the same time, adventuring through nature and at the same time getting to know the roots of the Ecuadorian people is undoubtedly a fascinating experience. That is why in this post we will talk about one of the favorite tourist destinations of locals and strangers called Baños de Agua Santa, a place where you can enjoy adventure tourism, ecotourism, religious tourism, gastronomic tourism and much more.
Commonly known as Baños is attributed the pseudonym of the capital of adventure in Ecuador to be a potentially tourist destination, is attended by hundreds of visitors a day because if you are looking to enjoy the big definitely Baños is your next stop. This beautiful canton is located at the foot of the Tungurahua volcano, the charm of its landscapes make it unique so you can enjoy its rivers and waterfalls, the charisma of its people, its exquisite cuisine and endless adventures it has to offer.
Baños de Agua Santa is a canton located in the province of Tungurahua is one of the most visited tourist destinations in Ecuador for its beauty and authenticity, is located about 1 hour from Ambato capital of the province of Tungurahua and 2 hours 30 minutes from the city of Quito. Commonly known as Baños is located at an altitude of 1,820 meters above sea level, its tropical rainy climate will make you feel cool during most of the day because you should also know that Baños is the gateway to the impressive Ecuadorian Amazon.
Its temperature varies according to the rainy season because in the rainy season the temperature ranges from a maximum of 24 ° C and a minimum of 9 ° C, on the other hand in the summer the temperature varies between a maximum of 28 ° C and a minimum of 15 ° C. The coldest months are July and August, while the rainiest months are February, March, April, October, November and December.
Main tourist attractions
Baños, the city of the volcano, has incredible tourist resources, as well as a wide and varied list of activities to offer to its tourists among its main tourist attractions are the following:
The route of the waterfalls: the town has spectacular natural scenery that provide a real spectacle, with a waterfall ranging from 80 meters high, among the most popular are:
- El Pailón del diablo: waterfall of approximately 80 meters high, its real name is Cascada de Río Verde, it is one of the most visited places in the country being the letter of presentation of the canton Baños, undoubtedly a destination that you really must visit if you are in Baños, a real show that allows us to enjoy nature, it is located approximately 17 km from the road Baños – Puyo.
- El Manto de la novia: waterfall of approximately 40 meters high, it is formed by the fall of the Chinchi river. It is located on the Baños – Puyo road 11 km from Baños.
- Machay Waterfalls: a formation of several waterfalls of heights ranging from 10 to 40 meters, located 7 km from the parish of Rio Verde and 11 km from Banos, a natural event not to be missed.
- Cascada de la virgen (Virgin’s waterfall): It has a 50-meter waterfall that descends from the Bellavista hill forming a figure similar to a scalp. Below it is the thermal baths of the virgin, a place to enjoy the peace that nature offers you.
Viewpoints: in Baños you will find the most beautiful viewpoints of the country where you can marvel at the view they have to offer where you can enjoy totally unique landscapes where nature harmonizes with the city, here are some of the most visited:
- La casa del árbol y columpio del fin del mundo: the right place to appreciate the magnificence of the ‘Mama Tungurahua’ here you can take some spectacular pictures in the swing at the end of the world to show off in all your social networks.
- Mirador La Mano de la Pachamama: a hand that springs from the earth, located in the community of Santa Rosa de Runtún, an ideal place to photograph the landscapes and to show off in your social networks a truly spectacular scenery.
- Mirador de la Virgen de Ventanas: viewpoint with the imposing sculpture of the Virgin of the Rosary, from the place you can admire the splendor of the city.
Trails: if you are looking for a walk and disconnect for a moment from the hectic everyday life, the trails are an excellent option, here are some of them.
- Los Sauces Trail: here you can get a glimpse of the agricultural productivity of the area, especially the fruit trees.
- Smugglers’ trail: an exciting journey through an old route of cane liquor smugglers.
- Path of the elves: a fantasy tour out of a fairy tale, where you can venture on a magical path guarded by elves.
Types of tourism to do
Baños de Agua Santa is a destination that has a lot to offer since the site concentrates a number of tourist activities to do here are some of the options:Adventure tourism: its geography makes it the ideal place to venture and perform a number of activities that will make your heart beat a thousand per hour, dare to put your adrenaline to the limit performing: Bungee Jumping, canyoning, canopy, rafting, climbing and much more.
Health tourism: another alternative to enjoy nature and the benefits it offers, if you are looking for a moment of relaxation you can visit the hot springs of: El Salado, La virgen, Santa Ana and others.
Gastronomic tourism: to pamper the palate and try new flavors in the town you can enjoy the taste of the four localities of the country in one place, as well as international food.
Cultural and religious tourism: if you want to learn more about other cultures and religiosity, Baños is the perfect place because you will find handicrafts, traditions and beautiful religious temples such as the Basilica of Baños.
Community tourism: another option to enjoy the culture offered by the town where you can share with the local communities while you learn and enjoy at the same time.